Monday, December 5, 2011

Post Workout Smoothie

One of my favorite parts of the workout is the end. That's when I get to go home and make my post workout smoothie. After the workout is the beginning of the recovery phase and there are benefits to drinking a recovery drink as apposed to eating a meal. Whole foods can take up to several hours to be digested, while liquids can be digested in as little as 20-60 minutes.
Organic blueberries, apples, banana and spinach

It is important to get some high quality and easily digested protein and carbohydrates within 30-45 minutes after a workout. It should be about a 4:1 ratio of Carbs to Protein. I like to make my own shakes because it's less expensive and I can put exactly what I want in there without all the extra "junk" that most store bought shakes contain. I use a few organic, whole food ingredients and also add a few vegan supplements, like plant based protein powders.

Post Workout Smoothie Recipe

2 handfuls organic baby spinach
1 large organic fuji apple (you can use any variety, but I'm partial to fuji)
1 organic banana
1 cup organic raspberries or blue berries (frozen)
1 tbsp organic flax seed oil
Plant based protein blend (Organic Brown Rice, Non GMO Pea, Organic Hemp)
1 tsp Bee Pollen
1 tbsp Chia seeds
1 tbsp Spirulina
1 tsp Raw Honey

Blend everything up smooth in my Vitamix!




No comments:

Post a Comment